It’s a Fact! In the US we consume more prescription drugs than any other country in the world, with almost 65% of our population taking prescription medication.
Proper Pharmaceutical Disposal – Why this is important.
Research shows that currently many unwanted or expired household and prescription medications are improperly disposed of. We now know that flushing drugs down toilets or putting them into the garbage both have damaging effects on our environment and can contaminate our surface and groundwater supplies.
Both drinking water and waste water treatment plants are not specifically designed to treat for these kinds of chemicals. In addition, unused or expired prescription medications are also a public safety issue, leading to accidental poisoning, overdose, and abuse. Therefore, properly disposing of unwanted pharmaceuticals and drugs will help us keep our rivers and drinking water clean and our communities safe.
- Take only the proper amount of medicine needed or prescribed. Excess pharmaceuticals pass through the body and end up in our wastewater where they can be difficult to remove.
- Never flush unused prescription or over the counter medication down the toilet to dispose of them.
- Bring unused or old prescriptions to a Drug Drop Off Box location near you so that the drugs can be properly disposed of in a safe and environmentally friendly manner.
What is accepted and not accepted in the boxes. Drugs can be in their original packaging with or without the label, or put into any kind of leak and/or spill proof container or ziplock bag.
Acceptable items for deposit include:
- Prescription medications and samples
- All over-the-counter medications
- Pet medications
- Medicated ointment tubes
- Liquid medication in leak proof containers
Items not acceptable for deposit:
- Bloody or infectious waste
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Aerosol cans
- IV bags
PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL POLICE DEPARTMENT OR THE CLACKAMAS COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION OR QUESTIONS ABOUT PRESCRIPTION DRUG DISPOSAL.
- Canby Police Department
1175 NW 3rd Ave, Canby, OR 97013
Box Available 24/7
- Clackamas County Sheriff Main Office
9101 SE Sunnybrook Blvd, Clackamas, OR 97015
Mon-Fri 7:00-6:00pm Weekends/Holidays 7:00-5:00pm
- Gladstone Police Department
535 Portland Ave., Gladstone, OR 97027
- Happy Valley Police Department
12915 SE King Rd, Happy Valley, OR 97086.
Mon-Thurs 8:00 to 4:00pm
- Milwaukie Police Department
3200 SE Harrison, Milwaukie, OR 97222
- Molalla Police Department
117 N Molalla Ave., Molalla, OR 97038
Mon-Fri 8:30-1:30pm & 2:00-6:00pm
- Oregon City Police Department
320 Warner Milne Road, Oregon City, OR 97045
- Sandy Police Department
39850 Pleasant Street, Sandy, OR 97055
Mon-Fri 8:00-1:00pm & 2:00-6:00pm
- West Linn Police Department
22825 Willamette Drive, West Linn, OR 97068
- Wilsonville Police Department
30000 SW Town Center Lp E, Wilsonville, OR 97070